Tuesday, June 21, 2011

AWOL and Kylie's Plea...

Okay, so I've been AWOL for a bit. A sabbatical.

I brought my bike with me to the Napa Valley. Got a fancy new bike carrier. Now, in the morning, I can take a bike ride. The only problem is that I'm tempted to stop at wineries for a taste or two---but I can't do that: I have to work in the afternoon. Damned Discipline!

So besides a few bike rides, I got a room here at the Monastic Dorm in which the television was on the blink. This contributed to me reading Barry Lopez excellent: "Of Wolves and Men". This is the updated classic from 1979. A wonderful read! I also re-read "Desert Solitaire". I've been studying this book in order to make a visit to the fire tower in Lassen National Park where Abbey claims to have written 75% of the book. I also took another gander at Leopold's "Sand County Almanac".

On top of that I wrote a first draft of a piece on Climate Change, the 2008 Concow Fire and Assemblyman Dan Logue. I like it so far; if the rascal reads okay (and if Joni approves), I think I will shop it around a bit.

And I just got this e-mail from Kylie regarding a BB Gun:

Can i getta bb gun pppplllllllllzzzzzzzzz?!? Im not gna shoot anybody or anything exept targets and everybody watching will have 2 be behind me while im shooting and i wont get the gun out when im mad and it will just be 4 target practice and i rly rly rly want 1 and ill be rly rly rly rly rly careful with it and PPPPLLLLLLZZZZZ?!?!?!?!?! Ill make sure that noboy ever gets hurt with it and u can take it back if sum1 duz so plz and nobody will be around me while im using it and i rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly want 1 so plzzzz and u can make any rules about it u want and i rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly rly want 1 and if i get 1 i wont ask 4 anything 4 a long long long time and ill be happy and ill be nice 2 jaz and pppppllllllzzzzz?!??!?!??!?!?!? PPPPPLLLLLLZZZZZZ?!?... Btw plz means please and rly means really and btw means by the way
Text speak---the ruination of the English language. So, do you think I should get her a BB Gun?

1 comment:

greentangle said...

I don't understand the big attraction of target practice or if you should get it for her, but she writes a cute email (by 21st century standards).