Friday, March 20, 2009

Walk #77: Walking with Larry Norman

Walk Duration: thirty minutes...

I have a long commute to work: around 160 miles. Thankfully, I only do this twice a month. I drive across northern California; been doing it since last July, when my wife and I decided to move to our "off the grid" home. I have a good psychiatric RN job here in the Napa Valley. I like my peers (this business requires teamwork--and you simply have to like your peers) and the clientele. The hospital has treated me well--they have given me a dreamy schedule and a very decent wage. I have a room at the hospital that I stay in when working. I call it my Monastic Dorm due to its austerity and simplicity.

So I made the drive yesterday. A wonderful spring day across the central valley, over the coastal range and into the Napa Valley. I checked into my room at the hospital and went to town to buy a bottle of wine and some cheese.

Usually I save up my laundry for the twice monthly Napa trip. We don't have a functioning washer at the Solar Homestead, so I just bring my dirty pile to Napa. While I washed the clothes at the Monastic Dorm, I uncorked the wine, had a glass of a decent sauvignon blanc and took a walk around the hospital grounds. A deliciously warm evening with a picture postcard sunset. I brought my Ipod and listened to an album from 1973 by Larry Norman (who passed away last year).

Larry was a fundy Christian artist best known for an awful song called: "I wish we'd all been ready". I like him because of his voice. Nobody could sing like him. I also like his social commentary and willingness to walk his spiritual path--even though I disagree with much of what he said and did.

Must all our heroes be like us?

No comments: