Sunday, March 29, 2009

Walk #86: Wheelbarrows and Mushrooms...

Walk Duration: Two hours...
Mushrooms growing out of a straw bale.

I'm back at the Solar Homestead. Just for a couple of days, then it is back to the Napa Valley for (possibly) 10 days or so.

I spent the day yesterday with my wheelbarrow. First I used it to make six batches of mortar and built more rock wall. Then I used it to haul soggy strawbales into a compost pile.

I realize that it doesn't seem like much of a walk; trudging along with a wheelbarrow fifty yards up and down a hill. To me, it counts. Why? Because it is part of the joy of being outside on a lovely spring day, doing grunt work. Before I bought this place, I had a lack of grunt work. I'm talking about the physical work of maintaining a rural lifestyle. Hauling, pruning, digging, moving, scraping, towing, lifting and muttering. These are activities that I love. These are activities missing from much of the modern suburban and urban industrial household.

When we no longer engage in the muscley fun of grunt work, we lose out on much pleasure. Done with the right attitude, it is the same as taking a walk...

No comments: