Thursday, March 5, 2009

Walk #63: Take a Walk for Ed Abbey...

Walk Duration: One hour...

The Manzanita is blooming...

The 14th of March will be the twentieth anniversary of Ed Abbey's death. To commemorate this anniversary, I've decided to re-read his classic: Desert Solitaire, with the intention of keeping track of the references he makes to walking.

Feel free to dust off your copy (or head to the library or bookstore--if you haven't read Abbey's classic) and follow along. I'd like to hear from you regarding reading Abbey. Desert Solitaire was written forty years ago; Ed died twenty years ago.

On the 14th of March, take a walk in honor of Abbey.

Why do this? Because I think Ed Abbey got it right. He understood what our relationship to nature should be. And he writes like nobody before him (or since). Enjoy!

2 comments:

greentangle said...

Would be interesting to share thoughts while rereading, but I have a big library book pile right now. I've read it a couple times but don't think I've ever really loved the book despite Abbey being one of my favorites. I like the social criticism parts but I guess the southwest natural history aspects are just too foreign to me.

If you haven't read it, you might love The Abstract Wild by Jack Turner where the quote on my blog comes from. It's a thin book of essays about our relationship to nature featuring Thoreau, cougars, Peacock and Abbey, pelicans, etc. My copy is heavily marked up from multiple readings.

I've saved the 14th for my Abbey walk. Are we required to toss beer cans or will pulling up stakes be good enough?

Allan Stellar said...

As always, I'm glad for your response Green...

Yes, Desert Solitaire is pretty parochial. I've lived in the West and Southwest (including a stint in an ER close to Moab) since 1993. Abbey's sense of place astounds me. Somehow I think he couild have done the same talking about the fields of North Dakota, or anyplace that has a semblance of that which came before the plow or blacktop.

As for your book recommendation? I'll put it on my reading list.

Drink beer but don't litter (I part with Abbey on that one)--"pulling up stakes"? You bet. And No Trespassing signs too...

Cheers!

allan