Monday, February 21, 2011

The Ancient Scale

Drove across northern California on Sunday. A winter storm had come through and had left more snow than I have ever seen in these parts. Trees were down across roads, the weight of the ice/snow too much for them to hold. I got cleared by the occupational nurse to go to work and got my room at the Monastic Dorm.

This morning I summoned up the courage to step on the scale. This is a lovely, ancient scale---probably been in use since the 1940's. Built to last. Sixty or Seventy years of doing its accurate measurements.

Bad news.

If a person lies around with a broken rib, raiding the refrigerator at regular intervals, sitting in the Lazyboy while watching a revolution in Egypt, well, one should expect to put on a bit of weight. And I did. Fifteen pounds worth in six or seven weeks. An accomplishment. Everyone is good at something in life, even if it is to serve as a bad example.

So I began the process of undoing the damage today. I did my hill work behind the Monastic Dorm. Forty minutes up 110 stairs (I counted them) to climb along the ridge and then down. Repeat three times. Gotta push myself away from the table now too---as summer will be here soon and many adventures are planned.

1 comment:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Good luck with the weight loss. Extra fat happened to me too this winter, and I go out hiking nearly every day. Please don't tell me it's because I'm getting old.