Friday, July 3, 2009

Walk #182: Easy Does It...


A late evening walk as it gets dark. My dog and I head out after yet another barbecued meal. It is hot here in the Foothills, and cooking outside makes the most sense. We use both our Weber and a propane stove we have set up outdoors. Dinners have been late, as nobody feels like cooking until the sun starts angling down. My walks have been even later--in order to escape the daytime heat and then have a family dinner.

So, right now, it is an "Easy Does It" sort of life. Don't push too hard with the heat. Rest. Take care of yourself. Drink water. The AA folks have simple, little slogans to help with their recovery; snippets of wisdom which makes sense: "Easy Does It", "One Day At A Time"; little pithy sayings.

They work.

So it is Easy Does It for this hot, hot July. No need to risk heat stroke, kidney stones, sunburn, exhaustion or dehydration--just to get a walk in. Or get the house done.

It is Easy Does It.

1 comment:

Ian Woofenden said...

I've been a bit lazy about writing, but only really one slacker day on the exercise.

Today I rode the block, including the island parade and the fire company garage sale. The island is crawling with weekenders, so it was a bit of a slalom on the bike.
7.33 miles
44:56
9.79 mph average
35.86 mph max

Yesterday I took a vertical walk. Worked on a 168-foot tower, though I only went up once and down once. Unfortunately, it was not a great day -- I made a bad call and we ended up breaking a wind generator blade. Good judgement comes from experience, which comes from bad judgement -- gee, I have much better judgement today...