Sunday, July 5, 2009

Walk #185: Our Lady of San Juan de Los Lagos


My watch fell off today at work. I was sitting in an office chair and it jumped off my wrist. I looked down---couldn't find the watch.

Instead, this medallion was sitting there on the floor. I put the medallion in my pocket.

A few hours later, my watch reappeared, lying on the floor. I think it got caught in the arm of the chair.

I took my walk after driving home this afternoon. I took the medallion along.

Our Lady of San Juan de los Lagos is the second most popular pilgrimage site in Mexico. It got popular in 1640, when a six year old child died. The distraught parents laid the dead child before the statue in the church, when the child came back to life. A nice legend. Since then, the place has become a pilgrimage site for healing (especially for children). The curious thing is that it is a popular WALKING destination. People are known to walk for weeks to get there. Some folks approach the church on their knees.

Seems fitting. Jungian Synchronicity. Comforting. Worthy of a prayer...

Ah, magical thinking...

2 comments:

Ian Woofenden said...

Had a solar consultation today, and my Solar Pathfinder and bag of tricks fits on the back of my bike. Stiff wind and cool today, but I rode in a T-shirt, which means I was chill for the first mile or so, and then great. Missed the rain; unfortunately, we only got a little bit.

9.12 miles
51:12
10.69 mph average
31.66 mph max

Ian Woofenden said...

Second ride today -- couldn't pass up an invitation to do a dusk ride with the 20-year-old son. And I pretty much kept up with the 20-year-old pace. ;-) We did about a mile of trail, which was a bit dicey in the falling light. Then we did the long west-side block. Fun!

10.18 miles
55:22
11.04 mph average
36.85 mph max