Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Walk #188: Dear Deer


Up early this morning, I took a walk before the girls awoke. In the blur of the photo above is a deer. Black tailed, I believe.

She wasn't all that alarmed at my presence. She stood and waited for me to take this blurry photo before bounding off. I'm happy to share this ridge with the deer and other critters. WE have asked the deer to leave our garden alone. Thus far, they have. Thanks.

Yesterday we were doing some work on the addition. A wasps nest was just a few inches above our heads as we put up a bale. We told the wasps they were welcome there, but please don't sting us. They didn't.

Can you communicate with wildlife? Is there some sort of leftover connection to Nature that industrial living has submerged deep into our subconsciousness? Most don't even ask the question. To do so is lunacy. And wasn't the world created for our own despoiling? Nature is something to be conquered. Can't trust Nature. Cooperating with Nature is treehugging sentimentalism.

But maybe, just maybe...deep in our reptilian brains, there is something which wants to cooperate with nature. Might human nature really be cooperative rather than competitive? Might Marx be correct in that we see the world from the vantage point of our economic system...and that change is possible. Might cooperation with nature really be our authentic Human nature?

I think so. Despite all evidence to the contrary. Delusionally so.

I'm told the root of the word "competition" means to strive together.

We are temporary stewards of everything we touch...from the land we live on, to the person we share our pillows with. Take good care of them and do the best you can.

2 comments:

greentangle said...

I regular attempt communication with birds on the ground ahead of me, telling them that they don't need to bother flying away from me as I get closer. My words don't do any good, but I've definitely noticed a difference in response to how I'm walking--fast, aggressive, slow, relaxed, etc.

Ian Woofenden said...

Traveling makes exercising hard.

Yesterday I was driving much of the day, and then visiting, working, playing music, with friends in Washougal. My bike was in the truck, but no time to use it.

Today I walked all over the Oregon Country Fair, an amazing display of creativity. I brought my bike to the camp site (1.3 miles), and hope to ride some in the next few days.