Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Walk #103: Tidy Tips, Wild Irises and Little Red Snakes...

Joni and I took time to do our "loop" today. The temperature dropped overnight to the mid 40's Fahrenheit. Joni pointed out these "Tidy Tips" to me. This is a hardy, drought tolerant, native annual. Quite pretty!


And a wild Iris:


And we found this small red colored snake that had been squished in the road. It is a snake and not a worm. Anybody know what kind of snake it is? I haven't been able to identify it yet.





4 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Such pretty flowers! (See, you CAN name them, Allan.) And such a sad little snake! Is it a baby or do some full-grown snakes come that small? I hope somebody tells us.

Allan Stellar said...

Give Joni the credit for identifying the flowers. We were able to identify three more today! Such fun!

The dead snake's identity remains a mystery. A Naturalists Cold Case. Call CSI Concow...

greentangle said...

Aw. I like snakes. Used to be a zoo docent and enjoyed freaking some people out with a corn snake or ball python wrapped around my arm.

Anyhoo, have you checked http://www.californiaherps.com

Doesn't look too much like anyone here and this is supposedly all CA snakes, but then they often look different.
http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/snakespics.html

All the species pages I happened to check laid eggs in summer so if that's true for all, it must have been almost a year old at least.

See, I love nature and I love research but I can still never figure out who anybody is!

Allan Stellar said...

Green,

Yup, I know that site. And I looked all over the darned thing for that snake. Couldn't find it. I suspect it is some sort of Garter Snake...