Saturday, April 25, 2009

Walk #114: Mixing Mortar and Ishi...

I took my walk after working all day mixing mortar. I've been trying to top off this stem wall I've been building so that we can start stacking straw bales. It would be nice to have a house some day. I showed my work to Joni, who said it wasn't good enough. I will try again tomorrow.

So it was a tired walk. But also a walk that had that pleasant feeling of physical exhaustion that comes from actually working with your body.


I read this in a book on Ishi, last night:

"Ishi felt quite sure he knew the chief causes for men's sickening in civilization. They were, briefly, the excessive amount of time men spent cooped up in automobiles, in offices, and in their own houses".

Ishi was the last Native American to come out of the woods. He lived, pretty much, in the area that our solar homestead is. He surrendered in Oroville in 1911. After that, he finished out his days as an aboriginal museum piece in San Francisco.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

As they say, great men think alike. Ishi and Thoreau shared a certain contempt for staying indoors. On the same day and at the same hour you posted your comments on Ishi, a blog posting excerpts from Thoreau's journals made the same point. From his journal of April 26, 1857: "A great part of our troubles are literally domestic or originate in the houses and from living indoors. . . ." The rest of the quote can be found at www.blogthoreau.blogspot.com But we do, alas, need our houses. Good luck with building yours.

Allan Stellar said...

Hey Woods,

So I checked out the Thoreau blog...that is almost, downright spooky! I swear I have never visited that blog before.

But so much of enviro literature is just rehashed stuff. Take Thoreau's views on walking and compare that to Ed Abbey. We mine the same material, because, every generation needs to be reminded until we figure it out. Get off your butts and walk! Get outside! Look at stuff rather than buying stuff! Tis that simple.

Thanks!!