Thursday, April 30, 2009

Walk #119: Create!


On my last walk before heading back to the Napa Valley for five days, I rambled past my car. I've always been a fan of bumperstickers--and have had more than my share; most have been political. Some spiritual. Our van that was recently totaled had a "Namaste'" bumpersticker on it.

My most recent bumpersticker speaks to my own empowerment. At 48, I want to (finally) create for myself, what I see as the way I ought to live. That's why we bought this small three acre parcel, in the middle of nowhere, on a gravel road, off the grid, amongst poison oak and rattlesnakes.

My kind of life!

It is my way of shaking off the constraints of full time work. A way to slow down (although Joni says I already had that one pretty much mastered!). A way to have the time for the things I want to do: like take a walk everyday; write a little; watch clouds; sleep under the stars; play with the people I share a home with. An Allan Manifesto!

This isn't withdrawal from life; it is my way of actively engaging in it! This isn't a contraction; it is expansion. Do more by doing less.

Don't listen to the herd. Do you like solar power? Then get those panels on your roof! Like fresh vegetables? Then plant that garden. Tired of traffic? Get that small little condo in the city and live the Green Urban life. Have too much stuff? Get rid of it.

It is time for those of us with Green Tendencies to actually create the life we want to live. Ideals without action is like tits on a bull; useless. Time for all of us to become Creationists.

2 comments:

Jackijo said...

Thank you for reminding us that we all have the power to change the world. I moan and complain, mostly to myself, that I never have time to do what I want. So it helps to be reminded that first I need to define what it is I really want my world to be, and second that it is within me to make that world a reality.

Allan Stellar said...

Nicely said! Thanks...