Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Days 88 and 89: And In Flew Enza....


Joni and I have both been in the grip of what must be something much more major than a cold. Flat on our backs; drained of all energy. Coughing. Sneezing. No energy. Wiped out. Miserable.

We seem to trade off feeling a little better. Hence yesterday, Joni took care of me. This led to her feeling miserable today. My turn to take care of her today.

Out of groceries, I drove to Paradise for some provisions. While there, I stopped into the used bookstore to pick up a copy of Thoreau--as my other copy got beat up by the rain forest in Costa Rica. I had to replace it.

I drove home, put away the provisions and opened the book. Inside the book there was a business card. The business card was for the editor of the local newspaper.

Driving to Paradise, I'd been thinking about approaching this newspaper with an idea about an "I Power" column--something to the effect of encouraging others to get off their Ipods and on to their legs. A get-outdoors-sort-of-thing with a lefty, granola, enviro slant.

I took a short, snot-filled walk with Angel after finding the business card (and showing the card to Joni who thought this coincidence was a bit spooky!)--knowing that this is an idea I have to pursue.

When confronted with an incidence of Jungian Synchronicity, only a fool would not follow it. Or maybe only a fool would follow it? Either way, I am such a fool.

3 comments:

greentangle said...

Interesting to imagine scenarios there. Did the editor put the card there himself? Was he looking for a columnist who likes Thoreau? Since he sold the book, does he hate Thoreau? Did someone else leave his card there? Did they write a letter to the editor quoting Thoreau?

Allan Stellar said...

Interesting indeed, Green.

The card was from the editor who retired back in 2001. Perhaps he hadn't saved enough money and had to part with his collection?

I bought a book on Emerson at this same bookstore a week ago or so. That book had the prior owners address and phone number stickered into the front of the book. The person was from Reno, Nevada (where I lived for eight years).


I guess that is why I like buying used books. They have a sense of history. I like it when the prior owners underline something. Gives me a glimpse of both the writer and one particular reader...

allan

greentangle said...

Ah, the place in Cambridge where I sold some a couple weeks ago doesn't want used books to have history. They won't buy books with underlining, or hardcover if paperback exists, or most incomprehensible to me, books which are out of print. Out of print books should be the specialty of used book stores!