Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 221: An Old Friend...


Met my old friend at the Calistoga Inn after work yesterday. We had beers, consumed a duck and took a long, long walk. I showed my friend where we lived in Calistoga. I showed her the new fancy resort, complete with six Lamborghini's parked out front. We caught up on the 21 years since we last saw each other.

I've traveled to Mexico with this friend. Protested in front of the U.S. embassy in Managua, Nicaragua in 1983 with this friend (Vive Sandino!). Graduated from college with this friend. This friend let me sleep on her couch when I was mending a broken heart. She remains a dyed-in-the-wool liberal. Much more tolerant of Obama than I am. "Give him a chance, things happen slowly, Allan".

There is a freedom and an ease in talking with someone who knew you when you were even stupider than you are now. If they tolerated you when you were twenty years of age, they more than likely will tolerate your more recent excesses!

Nice to spend time with another aging (but practical) Radical. We shall take a walk again tonight, and plan out how to make Revolution within the next twenty years of our lives. Or maybe we'll just turn to gossip.

No comments: