Sunday, August 8, 2010

Days 217 to 220: Napa

Dropped off my daughter at the airport on Thursday. She was all too happy to be leaving the "off grid" lifestyle. Can't blame her: we live rustically.

Just a few walks after work lately. Nothing fancy. Or special.

Tomorrow I hope to take a walk with a college friend I haven't seen in 25 years. Living in a tourist prone area has benefits; sooner or later, most friends will make a visit.

And I've trimmed a 4,000 word piece down to 3,000 words for an interested editor. Reading my stuff over and over again is horrible. It is like sitting down and having the same meal, day after day, year after year until you just can't take it anymore. Rewriting is not my forte'. I prefer the magic of the first draft.

2 comments:

Linda P said...

I thought it was the editor's job to tighten up your writing! I usually ask people to rewrite their piece if I need them to add more information. But I consider myself, as a professional editor, to be the better judge of what information is essential and what is baggage that can be tightened or snipped. The danger of having you do it is that you will ruin the freshness of your writing by overworking it. But a lousy editor can do the same!

I also wanted to let you know that I really enjoy reading your blog. I grew up near that area, and it's fun to read your reactions to the places I went 40 years ago. I also proposed a number of years ago that it would be fun to hike the Soldier Mountain area trails. It was tempting when you were looking for comrades for your hike. Maybe sometime... I'm a big fan of the Marble Mountain Wilderness.

Linda

Allan Stellar said...

Thanks for your very kind comments Linda! Makes my day to read such things.

As for rewriting and editors? Gosh, I don't know. I thought I would help the editor out by cutting 1,200 words. Truth is, somebody else probably would have done a better job.

Feel free to edit me anytime!

As for hiking? I have my eyes on the Highway 36 PCT section through Lassen National Park, Birney Falls and then on up to Dunsmuir for next year. I'm always looking for a "coalition of the willing". :)

I'll bring the Scotch...

allan