Monday, January 18, 2010

Day #12: The Hike Begins...

This is where a jaguar scratched a log to mark its territory....

Up a windy ridge...

Across a bridge...


Suffering. Suffering. Suffering.


Up another windy ridge...

Enthusiastic! Ready to start the climb...

The view from one of the ridges...


The first night's camp...

Climbing the dreaded "Gorillahead"


To say I struggled on the first day would be an understatement. I suffered! Thirty minutes into the hike, I announced to the group that I couldn't make it.
From each according to ability; to each according to need. We lightened my load. And I grunted through the climb. Slowly. Made it to Camp 1...which is at around 7,200 feet.

Highlights? Two precarious bridges. About five precarious ridges. A hike up the beginning of a Rain Forest. Discovering a log that a jaguar had scratched in order to mark his territory. And the wind--don't forget the wind, blowing at hurricane strength--the mountain doing its very best to blow us off a chasm to certain death.

I wrote in my journal: "That was perhaps the hardest day of my life".

2 comments:

greentangle said...

Congratulations! I might have made it uphill, but probably would have turned around at the first precarious bridge.

Allan Stellar said...

Hey Green,

As it turns out, I didn't summit. But I did manage to make it across the bridges...

allan