Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Days #33 and #34: Back on the Trail; Concow and Concord



My toes are better. Time to get into gear.

Angel and I walked the Long Loop today. First time I've walked it since returning from Costa Rica. Lots of trees are down from the high winds we had last week. And a new parcel is for sale. This is the parcel that (once upon a time) had the original farm house on it. The house was torn down a couple of years ago--as it had become a flop house for Bikers and Methheads. Now, just the property is for sale.

Actually two parcels are for sale on this Ridge that I have come to love. Makes me anxious as to who will buy it. This isn't a tight knit "off grid" community; most folks are escapists and a tad on the paranoid side. Yet, most are benign enough.

In a way, I wish Concow would become more like Concord. In the 1840's, Concord Massachusetts could boast that Louisa May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson, H.D. Thoreau, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Margaret Fuller lived there. All of these literary greats lived within spitting distance of each other. They took walks together. Borrowed each others books. Helped each other with their gardens. The only one who had any sort of recognition at the time was Emerson.

Concow could stand an infusion of "off grid" Artists Wannabees like Emerson or Thoreau.

All good things come to an end. I have only worked one day this year thus far. I've had thirty three days off. Tomorrow I return to the Napa Valley to earn my keep. My goal this year is to work to live; not live to work.

No comments: