Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Days #50 to #54: Sloth...




"To every thing there is a season" as the Byrds borrowed from Bobby Dylan and as Bobby Dylan borrowed from Ecclesiastes.

Last Thursday I drove to the Napa Valley for my obligatory work week. Along the way, as I usually do this time of the year, I came across the herd of elk in the top two photos. I got out of the car and spent half an hour with them. Watching them. The elk just watched me as I snapped a few photos of them.

Special.

So I worked my five days. After work, I didn't feel like doing anything. I didn't walk. I didn't ride my bike that I brought with me. I didn't go to the library. I didn't go to town. I just went to my Monastic Dorm room and slept.

It must be February. My legs were hurting after work. My back has been sore. So I decided to withdraw. Regroup. Read. Sleep. Watch the Olympics. And I must admit, I enjoyed my slothfulness. After 400 days of giving myself a daily assignment to "get outside"--staying inside was a decadent treat.

Sometimes we need to linger in our caves.

1 comment:

OmShanti said...

teeeheee, 'it must be February', i couldn't have said it better myself!--and, a little bit of sloth does the body good...but only a little bit...