Sunday, February 1, 2009

Walk #32: Just Another Redneck Sunday...

Walk Duration: One Hour.

I've noticed a pattern. Sundays the Rednecks are out in force. Although they don't prefer to walk--they drive either ATV's or Pick up Trucks. Both can kill you.

In fact, it isn't the Mountain Lions or Rattlesnakes that scare me walking out here: it is the Redneck. Specifically, the intoxicated Redneck barreling along a country road at something approaching light speed. Brave from their liquored up breath, they show no regard for life or limb.

Sundays are their day. And just like Ed Abbey used to, they toss their beer cans and bottles on the road. You find them everywhere. I suppose they are worried about getting tagged with an "open bottle" violation.

But for these harbingers of motorized madness, the weekend means wilderness access. And not with their legs. Pick up trucks I can handle. The ATV's I find most obnoxious. As they drive past me, I notice that they always have a cooler strapped on (hence the beer cans in the most remote of spots) and also a Plastic Gas Can and quarts of oil. The only thing they take back home with them is the extra Gas Container. Should their ATV need oil, they add the quart---and leave the bottle for posterity on the side of the dirt road.

Rednecks can't be avoided in the rural areas. They are as numerous as Yuppies in the Financial District in San Francisco. Both sets of populations seem oblivious to the world around them. The Redneck with their hell bent desire to ride their vehicles everywhere; the Yuppie with their desire to out snob everyone.

Which group do you most trust, Rednecks or Yuppies?

Depends where I'm at: every good Redneck can fix almost anything (or attempt to); a Yuppie is more fun to talk to. But sometimes I wish the two populations would trade places. Let the Rednecks run our financial world (given the financial crises, I think they'd do a better job); let the Yuppies do the work of the Redneck: mechanic, welfare warrior, tree feller, welder, pot grower... etc etc.

It would be good for both populations...

2 comments:

greentangle said...

When I was a long-haired teenager walking, I would always get buzzed by cars swerving closer to me as they passed and yelled at me to get a job and/or a haircut.

So I have a long-standing problem with rednecks. Your redneck/yuppie question reminds me of a movie I saw this weekend--Humboldt County, about an LA medical student who starts living with pot growers.

Allan Stellar said...

I hear ya! Ed Abbey had an appreciation for Rednecks that I have great difficulties sharing. Enviros like Jeffrey St. Clair also seem to have an appreciation for these folks. I'd invite Jeffrey to come visit my neck of the woods for a bit. His appreciation for this species might get a bit tarnished.