Saturday, February 7, 2009

Walk #37: A Park and Railroad Tracks...




Walk Duration: One hour, Ten minutes.

A nice walk in Trustfunder Central: St. Helena. I started in a small park that has a walking path. The path leaves the park, and much to my surprise, passes through a pedestrian friendly development. A wonderful little hamlet, the cars are safely sequestered away, leaving cute little cottages with sidewalks and front porches. No cars allowed. In the middle of the development, a fairy circle of Redwoods comprises a small bit of public space. And at the top of the tallest Redwood: A hawk sitting, surveying the land.

The path leaves this surprising little gem of small houses and meanders here and there emptying out at a vineyard. A path through the vineyard (not advertised as such) dumps you out at the railroad tracks and the old depot.

From there I walk the tracks. I haven't done this since I was a kid: memories. I get lost in the nostalgia and walk as far as the tracks will take me. These are the tracks for the opulent Napa Wine Train. For a considerable amount of cash, you can ride this train and (of course!) drink wine and enjoy a gourmet meal. I've never done it. But I have walked the tracks now.

Note: Photos to follow when I return to the Solar Compound.

3 comments:

greentangle said...

Ah yes, I lived near some lightly used freight train tracks when I was a kid and the tracks and the trains were a great source of inspiration. It helped that they had fields and woods on both sides rather than houses and factories.

Allan Stellar said...

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to walk on "lightly used" tracks...

Minnesota has done a good job of turning tracks into trails. Although sometimes I think that was a mistake, if we ever decide to pursue being a rail nation again.

Allan Stellar said...

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to walk on "lightly used" tracks...

Minnesota has done a good job of turning tracks into trails. Although sometimes I think that was a mistake, if we ever decide to pursue being a rail nation again.