Thursday, February 26, 2009

Walk #56: Dogs and Adventism

Walk Duration: One hour, ten minutes....

The red dog is our neighbor's: Teddy, the golden retriever.



I made the mistake the other day of taking the neighbor's dog along on our walk. Teddy isn't tied up and spends as much time around our homestead than his owners. That's fine...except for when I want to take my dog for a walk.

Angel, my dog, and I try to sneak away. But Teddy has nothing to do all day but wait for me to leave with Angel. And because Teddy is such a good dog (and a great best friend for Angel), I haven't the heart to make him stay behind. I tried to yell at him once, but felt just too mean.

So I take him with me, which makes me feel a little like I'm running a doggy day care.

Teddy belongs to the ultra-fundamentalist, vegetarian, home-schooling, "off the grid", Tribulation Waiting, Jesus Is Coming Soon, 7th Day Adventist family next door. They are strict vegetarians and Christian right wing fanatics. This sect takes seriously the prohibition of graven images. They haven't stopped by our place in months, after seeing all the Buddhas, Taras, St. Francis and Goddess statues we have adorning our yard.

The other day I gave Teddy (the neighbor's dog) a piece of ham. He looked at it, and didn't really know what to do with it. After some hesitancy, he remembered his doggy instincts and quickly wolfed it down. I guess in 7th Day Adventist households, even the dogs are vegetarians.

How was your walk today?

4 comments:

Jackijo said...

I think I need a dog. I just put up something about a dog and then read your blog. Is this a dog day or what? I love your comments about dogs being friends with each other. I feel it in my heart, someday I will have a dog. But for now cats rule.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

I like your dog, I like your walks, and I really love your "Rants." Thanks for stopping by my blog and posting a link on your site. I'm so amazed at how these connections are made. How on earth did you find me way out here in upstate New York?

Allan Stellar said...

Jackijo...I can't think of a better walking companion than my dog. Or, as a friend of mine says: "Dogs are good people!"

Welcome Woodswalker. I saw a comment you made on Greentangle's blog (which, in my opinion, is quite excellent!). Anybody who comments on his blog can't be half bad, so I checked out yours. Very impressive! Thanks for joining!

greentangle said...

Well, what a thing to find in the comments section! Thanks, Allan.

But I'm now temp working full time strange hours which don't lend themselves to much of a life during the week. The hours can change or disappear at any time, but for now I doubt I'll be blogging or even computing much except on weekends.