Monday, February 23, 2009

Walk #53: Feathers and Rainbows


Walk Duration: 45 minutes.

Feeling a little down over a few recent stressors, I took a walk through the vineyard that is located behind the library in St. Helena. Still raining. At least the rain is warm. Warm showers are better than the awful cold storms of January.

A rainbow was present when I went into the library (photos to follow soon). Promise. After checking e-mail and discovering that my link to Walk Magazine was blocked (it hardly seems fair that they can link to you, and when you link back to them--they block you; must have been my grammar!)--I was actually a little disturbed and saddened by that. What didn't they like? My writing? Did they come to their senses? Or maybe they are frightened of the Riff Raff who might be reading this?

Fear not, Walk Magazine.

This, believe it or not, actually bummed me out. Walking along, I found A Turkey Vulture feather. I assume it was one, as there was a Vulture flying above, and it had that grayish color. A huge feather. My spouse tells me that Feathers are an indicator of Spirit. That changes the way I see feathers when I find them out walking. My magical thinking takes over and I look for the message.

My literary hero is Ed Abbey. Ed wanted to be reincarnated as a Turkey Vulture. I often think of Ed when seeing Turkey Vultures. In fact, I wrote about one such experience which you can find in an on-line discussion of my original article at Mother Earth News.

Keep writing. Don't let them block you. Keep walking. Don't let life stop you. Watch for rainbows and feathers! Be idiotically persistent in your endeavors!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I particularly liked the last paragraph of this post and I have quoted you on my own blog. I hope that you don't mind.

I'm enjoying joining you on your daily outings.

Allan Stellar said...

No problem. Like all writers I like to be read. (Better read than dead--as Abbey used to say). And to be quoted is quite a complement. Thanks!

allan