Monday, February 2, 2009

Walk #33: Tracks!! And Treadmills....

Walk Duration: One Hour.

A friend of mine writes:

I've been walking occasionally - does the treadmill count?????

My reply:

"Do treadmills count?

Why in the world would anyone want to be on one of those things? I've used one...but it just seems much too hamsterish. Everyone in their own little world; Ipods on--sort of like driving on the freeway in your own car, only walking.

I think that is how anti-social our society has become. We don't enjoy being together even when we workout together."

But I must be realistic. I've used gyms (and I was considerably thinner). There have been times when a Treadmill was easier on my knees. So I used it. Treadmills are great when the weather is not very inviting. And then there was the time I worked out next to a Hall of Fame Baseball Pitcher at the hospital I work at. He was on the Treadmill next to mine. When he was finished, he brought me a towel---which I saved.

I know there are times when it is too cold, rainy, snowy, blustery and yucky to be outside. And there is the social component of working out together. People watching.

Still, for walks I'd rather be outside. I've never spotted a Deer track from a George Jetsonian Treadmill. And I never looked good in spandex. Give me my walking stick and my hiking shorts. Give me fresh air and solitude.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Alan--Nice blog! I came across your site and I have a related one and want to see if you will do a link/blogroll exchange with me-it will benefit us both.
Mine: http://howtogetridoflovehandlesguide.com
Title: How To Get Rid Of Love Handles Info

If you agree, to keep it simple, just go ahead and add my link to your page-email me your details and I will reciprocate within 24 hours.
Thanks and I hope to hear back from you,
Rich
awundrin@gmail.com