Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Walk #315: Abandoned Trailers and Gary Snyder


Either my glasses are dirty--or there is smoke in the air.

Foothills residents worry all summer about fires then, as soon as it is wet enough to burn things--they start burning. All the summer's trash goes up in smoke. All the building materials, unwanted items and stuff to burn just for the fun of it--are tossed in piles and ignited. A pyrophile's dream.

I found a new abandoned trailer on my walk today. Sometimes they burn too.

I let Angel run free through out the walk. A rare day when she decided that she would be mindful of my directions. Could be that she heard me say that Joni was coming home today. This dog understands much--and she seemed especially happy and playful on our walk.

And lastly, a friend sent me a Gary Snyder quote:

Practically speaking, a life that is vowed to simplicity, appropriate boldness, good humor, gratitude, unstinting work and play, and lots of walking brings us close to the actual existing world and its wholeness.

3 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Have a happy homecoming with Joni (hope her mom is better) and thanks for the Gary Snyder quote. Words to live by, indeed.

Ian Woofenden said...

Did about 10 miles on the electric-assist bike today, doing some errands around the island. I might have to get another e-bike...

Anonymous said...

Seeing all the abandoned trailers in your blog makes me sad for the trailers. Us vintage lovers just sigh at the waste. Hope you remember there are those of us nutters out there who love our trailers and work hard to restore them. ;-)

Sucks that the rednecks continue to depreciate what is a good housing option to folks like me who can't afford a $900+ mortgage. Hope the trash gets moved out of there and the land goes to someone who will take care of it. We have a lot of "off the grid" trashers up north too.

Love your blog though!