Sunday, November 15, 2009

Walk #319: At the Beach with Hunter...

The hippy dippy bakery...

Hunter--doing his best to look intelligent.

Allan. In Jenner, California. With hair...

My neck feels okay; my back is a little sore.

I met one of my psychiatric nursey friends for breakfast at 6:30 am. We then hopped into his car and drove to the ocean. We drove some back roads through Marin and Sonoma counties. Visited some Redwoods. Stopped at a hippy dippy bakery shop.

Hunter listened as I talked about being attacked. This felt like a warning sign: Get in shape Allan! Start taking better care of yourself!

We talked and walked at one of my favorite beaches near Jenner, California. Hunter was in an especially good mood.

Psychiatric Nurses, who are often times in dangerous situations armed with nothing but a bit of muscle and a needle, bond with one another. You learn to rely on each other. It takes years to develop such teamwork--and even when you no longer work at the same job together, the emotional attachments continue.

If you want to know whether a psychiatric unit is any good, ask one question to a nurse: "Do you like your colleagues?". If the answer is "yes"--more than likely that unit works well.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

My sympathies, Allan. It's pretty scary to be attacked by a patient. I'm glad you had someone at hand to come to your aid. When I was a Hospice NA, I worked alone in patients' homes, and some homes were far from safe places. I remember cowering behind a locked door with my elderly patient while her drug-crazed teenage grandson was throwing furniture through the windows in the living room and threatening to kill us all. I was wondering how I was going to drag this comatose old lady out a second-story window. But the kid's parents calmed him down. Whew! I hope you are feeling better. Enjoy your R&R.

Ian Woofenden said...

Get a haircut, hippie! ;-)

Hope you are recovering well.

Did about 13 miles on the e-bike today. Blew off yesterday...