Sunday, November 15, 2009

Walk #318: On Injured Reserve...

I had a workplace injury yesterday.

Never, in my career, have I had a patient grab my hair. Until yesterday. This is not an experience that I would care to repeat. Ever.

When someone angrily grabs your hair, you are in a very compromised position. You do not have control over your own destiny. The client had my hair by both hands; clumps of hair torn out of my head. As a result, I ended up with a neck injury--and will be out on workman's comp until, at least, Tuesday.

My friend, and coworker, R. saved me. This was quite a brawl. The psychotic client bested me with street smarts. I've never been in a fight in my life. At one point, I felt that my neck was going to snap and that I very well could die there, then, on the unit. A total surprise attack.

It happens.

I'm gonna get a haircut!

My walk was with R. at his house. After visiting the ER and getting pain killers and muscle relaxers---R. and I de-escalated by having a bit of dinner. We took a walk and processed this very violent day. He took good care of me.

No comments: