Sunday, November 22, 2009

Walk #326: Tim DeChristopher--A Real Hero!


Joni has been gone for a tad more than 24 hours and I have already trashed the place. Amazing what a slothful, 48 year old can do in such a short amount of time!

Angel and I head out for a meandering, longish walk. Along the way I think about direct action: My own admiration for Joni's tree sit; I'm currently reading Mike Roselle's book: "Treespiker"--which I am enjoying.

And then there is Tim DeChristopher, whom I called a hero when he crashed a bidding orgy for gas and oil leases near Arches National Park. Last night, I was happy to hear Amy Goodman praise this brave young man--who is facing some very serious charges regarding his impulsive act.

Commit a crime against property rights in this country and you will pay for it. And as I predicted, the Feds are throwing the book at this brave young man. DeChristopher is facing years and years in prison for sabotaging the lease sale.

What was the result of DeChristopher's action? The Bush administration pushed this sale through as a last minute gift to oil and gas developers. This was in the midst of the "Drill, Baby, Drill" hysteria. The Obama administration ruled the sale as invalid, due to DeChrisopher's brave actions. Tim DeChristopher, basically, saved 110,000 acres of some of the most beautiful land in the United States.

There is a place for creative direct action. Bravo Tim DeChrisopher!

7 comments:

Ian Woofenden said...

Biked in my sleep yesterday.

Today, around the block and more hydro skulking:

8.04 miles
48:27
9.96 mph average
31.36 mph max

Ian Woofenden said...

Town today for appointment, errands, and more hydro skulking. The wind blew my bike over (again) and the windshield finally broke, so I bought a piece of acrylic to replace it.

16.70 miles
1:36
10.33 mph average
29.60 mph max

Allan Stellar said...

Hydro skulking? Is this a Northwestern term? An "Ianism"? Is this in Websters? I take it you are waterlogged...

You handle the rain better than I do!

allan

Ian Woofenden said...

Definitely an Ianism. I have a hydro workshop coming up in the spring, and I need to find a project, so I've been checking out leads on possible flowing water. Today I was hopeful, because the owners were excited about their resource. I found out that they were clueless about hydro -- no resource there. But it was a nice ramble through some new woods! And they have a good solar and wind site...

Allan Stellar said...

By the way Ian--sorry about the Commie Pinko stuff lately!

allan

Ian Woofenden said...

Ah, you mean that involuntary stuff, where people force their will on others, just like the enemies they decry? ;-)

I think we need clearer distinctions. I don't mind pink, and I don't mind sharing. I mind involuntary relationships, where one person or group forces their will on others -- that's the root of war. And I don't think two wrongs make a right, though I understand the feelings behind trying to fight injustice and disrespect with more injustice and disrespect.

Allan Stellar said...

Yeah, that stuff... :)