Monday, May 4, 2009

Walk #123: A Damp Rain...


Today was one of the harder days I've had at work. In case you haven't noticed, this country is sliding into barbarism. That is nowhere more apparent than on a psychiatric unit (what few units we have left in the USA--before long, I'm afraid, we will just let these poor folks suffer and die). For those who are new, I work part time as a Psychiatric RN in a hospital in the Napa Valley.

I took a restorative walk after work. It is one of those rainy days where you don't think that you have to bring along an umbrella. You think: "I won't get that wet". Ten minutes later, you discover that you are actually quite wet. Damp. Soaked to the bone. And it is too late to go get the umbrella and undo the dampness. Silly me...

Now I plan on restoring myself further by heading up to my Monastic Dorm and participating in a Eucharistic meal (although solitary) of a bottle of local petite syrah, some wild Oregon salmon (smoked), a bit of sour dough bread and a bit of fresh, local goat cheese.

While at it, I'll finish John Muir's book "My First Season in the Sierra Nevada" and go to bed early.

Not a bad evening though: A walk, a simple meal of local fresh food, a classic book; this is living!!

Home tomorrow!!

No comments: