Friday, May 29, 2009

Walks #147 and #148: Getting Walks In While Busy

The hospital grounds...


Drove across California yesterday. Got to the Napa Valley around 8 pm. Quite a contrast in temperatures between the foothills (where it was in the mid-90's) and the Napa Valley, where the marine fog had rolled in and the temperature was in the mid 60's. Forgot to bring a jacket. I must be acclimating to the Foothills heat already, as the coolish Napa Valley temperatures felt rather tundrus.

Had a short walk around the grounds while I washed some clothes.

Today I worked an extra four hours. Tis hard to turn down that "time and a half"...which translates to working for about $1.15 per minute. I rewarded myself for sticking my nose to the grind stone, by nosing around downtown St. Helena on my two legs. Purpose? To buy a book (as the library was closed). All the shops were closed in St. Helena--the Trustfunders have more important things to do than shopping on a Friday night; they eat.

One trick to get some steps in is to park way far away from your destination and walk there. Which is what I did in the coolish evening of the Napa Valley tonight. But alas, no bookstore was open, so I drove the nine miles to Calistoga where I knew the shops would be.

They were. Deepak Chopra's book "The Third Jesus" was my gift to myself for working extra. Plus I bought a meritage red wine from a local winery that was on sale. They await me up in my room.

Again in Calistoga, I parked a mile or so away from the downtown and walked there.

Comparing the two towns tonight, it seems the tourists are out en masse. They were better dressed in St. Helena. Frilly little floofy dresses--mostly strapless--by the Yupstery ladies. The men were in finely pressed dockers and light sport coats. Calistoga was also quite busy--more so than St. Helena. California cuisine odors everywhere in the two towns. People busy talking, eating, drinking wine---looking pleasant and relaxed in this nationwide, tourist destination of foodies and oenophiles. Such a contrast to my home in the Foothills...

1 comment:

Ian Woofenden said...

8.37 miles
47:59
10.47 mph average
32.63 mph max

I stopped to check out some hardware -- a friend had seen what looked like some greenhouse hoops on a property I know, and I had seen the owner moving them in in a container. So I went to see what they actually are, and they look like a sturdy greenhouse frame. Gonna have to bump into the owner -- a known stockpiler of junk -- and see what his intentions are.

F. asked me to go to the store for shampoo and soap. The ferry line was very busy going off -- not sure why, but maybe partly for http://www.pacificchallenge.net/history.htm , a rowing regatta.

Another gorgeous day on the island. Quick breakfast for me, and then back to the book, maybe taking a break to move some dirt later