Sunday, May 3, 2009

Walks #121 and #122: In Praise of Short Walks...


Oh I admit it, my nature runs towards the slothish side. Slothful. Full of sloth. Downright lazy. I consider it a virtue. It is quite apparent that it is the ambitious who have been mostly responsible for the degradation and destruction of the planet.

Yesterday was a day full of rain. I resurrected my umbrella and did a short walk about the hospital grounds. Miserable. Not too long of a walk.

And today, tired from a day of work, I managed to take a walk behind the vineyard at the library in St. Helena. This has become quite familiar territory for me. No rain today, but very humid. The temperature was in the mid-sixties, but it felt much warmer, even with mostly clouds in the sky.

Another short walk.

And so I must write a few words in praise of the short walk. Why must all our walks be long? Why not just enjoy a pleasant saunter out to your favorite tree, park, playground, pub or refrigerator? Short walks are underrated. Fifteen minutes in the fresh air (or miserable rain) is much like that first "eye opener" to the trembly fingered drunk. Or to maybe put it in a more healthy perspective, fifteen minutes walking about can clear scads of stress, tension, cobwebs and depressive miasma.

What is so good about a short walk?

Well, first off there is the brevity of it. It is easily completed and need not take up a whole lot of time. Every non exercise fiend needs to have a simply completed physical goal. It gives a person the sense of mastery so often not present in any other place in our lives. And by taking a short walk, someone else just might finish the dishes when you are gone.

Secondly, given that I'm the one who makes the rules up for this blog, it counts as a "walk". Makes it so that I can write.

Most don't stress over taking short trips in their cars. So why not add a short walk to the ensemble? And why must we have any purpose or destination for our short walks? I think a five minute spin about the backyard to see if the sparrows are nesting, or even to see if the peas have germinated, is just fine. We need not even have that much of an excuse to be outside.

Some are suspicious of those who are outside for no apparent reason. They think we are up to something. And they are right: It is called ENJOYMENT OF LIFE! So go ahead. Get out there. Have no destination or purpose. It's okay to not have one. Better to not have a purpose and walk, then to be incredibly industrious, purposely watching your life spin by without notice...

4 comments:

Jackijo said...

You just inspired me to go outside! Thanks for that.

Pedersanna said...

Yes, thanks! My purpose-driven life is killing me.

bill said...

And just think of all the positive environmental benefits. For Americans and hour on your feet means one less hour in your car or SUV!

Keep up the good work! Encouraging all to walk will prove beneficial at both the personal and national level.

Gotta go, time for a walk. See what I meaqn?

bill@wildramblings.com

Allan Stellar said...

I must admit, I kind of liked this one. The highest praise is when folks actually get off their butts and go outside and take a walk! Thanks Jackijo and Pedersanna!

By the way Pedersanna, I'm glad you picked up on my critique of the "purpose driven life" and that gay hating, suburb loving, roundhead from Saddleback Church who Obama picked to pray at his inauguration. I was wondering if anyone would get that...

And thanks for the feedback, Bill. I took a minute to peruse your website and admire your years of experience. Joni and I are right behind your footsteps with our cabin. Tis an honor that you passed through here! Thanks!