Sunday, May 24, 2009

Walk #143: A Memorial Weekend Wildflower Extravaganza!

Most days I walk the same route. It is a great way to get to know this new econiche I am in. We moved up here one year ago; we are at 2,000 feet elevation at the top part of the Sierra Foothills (Mt. Lassen, the first mountain of the Cascades--is forty miles away).

Last summer we had a huge fire. The ridge I walk on was partly burned. Now the wildflowers are showing their beauty. Below is a Mariposa Lily:

On my walk I discover the wildflower, take a photo and then show it to Joni. We get out the wildfower books and try to identify the suspect. More Mariposa Lillies (sometimes called Tulips) below. They just started blooming. Thousands of them on the ridge!

We can't identify this grass. It almost looks like some sort of wild hops to me. Anybody know what it is? I'm tempted to harvest it and attempt to make a real "Foothills Ale".

Blue Brodiaea! The Natives in this area dug up the bulbs to eat. I didn't try it, as I guess if you get another species... the "Death Camas" (which often can be found next to the Brodiaea), and eat it--well--you die.

We think these purple flowers below are the "Farewell to Spring" flowers. These also are edible--and the Native folk considered them among their most prized foods.


6 comments:

Jackijo said...

Thanks for the great pictures! I especially like the Mariposa Lily closeup.

Allan Stellar said...

They are beautiful flowers...

Sally said...

For the grass, try looking up Rattlesnake Brome-- Bromus briziformis. Did it rattle at you? (maybe later)

Nice Mariposas! Your season is ahead of ours, of course. Keep on trekking...

Allan Stellar said...

Thanks for the tip on the grass, Sally. And thanks for your other comments too!

Enjoyed your blog. I shall pay it a bit more deserved attention when I return to my home in the Foothills.

Cheers!

Slatts1962 said...

It's amazing how nature reconstitutes itself after something calamitous like a fire. Do you have a lot building code directives because of the the possibility of forest fires? Great pictures!

Allan Stellar said...

Hi Slatts...

Yes, it does seem foolish to build in such fire prone areas. California needs to burn every 20 years or so. We think we can tame nature, but we can't. We follow the advice about "defensible space" which saved our house last year. For us, we build with inexpensive natural materials (which are more fire resistant). Plus, if the place burns, it is much cheaper to replace it.

As for building codes? I'll take the fifth on that one. :)