Sunday, May 17, 2009

Walk #135: Psychiatric Nurses Anonymous...

It sounded like a good plan.

A barbeque with a couple of my nursey friends. Hunter (who is enjoying his 212th day of unemployment) and RC--who looks uncannily like Jerry Springer--and myself--who more and more looks like a cross between John Denver and Michael Moore. Aging sucks!

I trundled down to the city of Napa after work. Dropped into the chain store "Whole Foods Market" (Joni calls it "Whole Paycheck") and bought provisions: Grass fed, organic, tri tip; organic shittake mushrooms; Asparagus; a really good stinky, Artisan Cheese slab; Butter; Corn on the Cob (fresh, from southern California); two bottles of wine--a french Bordeaux and a Cabernet from Washington state. We gathered at RC's backyard where my colleagues had brought their feast items: lots and lots of garlic, six more bottles of wine, a liter of gin with fixins, potatoes, another tri tip steak (not organic or grassfed) and some rib eye steaks.

We barbecued it Slow Food Style while calling our impromptu Psychiatric Nurses Anonymous meeting to order by opening the French wine to complement the stinky cheese.

Fun!

The idea was to make dinner and then walk to the oldest building in Napa. This building was made of Cob in 1840, and today is the home of one of the more reasonably priced bars in the Napa Valley. This bar will only be open until January, when the building will become a museum. Get there quick because the atmosphere, beauty of the Cob and sense of history of the building--along with the working class nature of the bar--- is refreshing for the hoity-toity Napa Valley.
I loved it!

But I get ahead of the story.

We had planned on walking there after our feast. The problem? We made so much food and imbibed in so much, Hunter said: "I'm not walking there". I still wanted to check out the Cob structure, so we took a cab instead. Responsible Psychiatric Nurses we are.

Which reduced this walk to an anemic walk about the Whole Foods Market.

P.S. I shall post photos of this amazing building (and of this evenings activities) when I return to my home in the Foothills...

No comments: