Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Walk #145: Heat!!

Once again I waited until the hottest part of the day, and then headed out. A longer walk again.

It isn't really fair to my dog. She doesn't know how far we are going when we leave. I have the advantage! She runs here and there. Gets good and hot. Then pants the rest of the way:

My 145th walk. Am I any thinner? No. Yesterday, I did notice that the hills are much easier for me. And since I'm waiting for the hottest part of the day to walk, that means I am craving more exercise. I don't really have time right now to add longer walks. Which means that I just might have to start adding a morning run (waddle?) to my regimen. Yikes!
............................................................................................

Reading the "comments" section is always fun; it is especially more so now. Ian W. states he is gonna start posting his outdoor activities there. Look for adventures on a bike. Reports on walks from his many travels. Ian is a writer, senior editor of a renewable energy magazine, wind energy expert, solar pioneer, and author--who has lived "off the grid" for decades. Having Ian write in the comments section is like having Hank Aaron ask to play on your softball team--an incredible honor! I look forward to (hopefully) reading his "comments" as he makes a commitment to spending more time exercising. Go Ian!

3 comments:

Tim Koppenhaver said...

The challenge of capturing a good shadow self portrait is to not make it look like you're holding a camera. I haven't yet been able to capture one that I'm satisfied with, and I've tried several times. In yours, I'm guess you were holding the camera in your right hand and viewing it about chest level. The result (in shadow at least) is that you look like an amputee.
Take care, and keep walking...
TK

Allan Stellar said...

Tim..hahahahaha. Yes, you are correct. I do look like an amputee. :) The photos for this blog are done with the most bottom of the line Kodak. The kind where you push the button and wait a couple of seconds before the camera does it's thing. My photos certainly don't meaure up to yours. But I'll keep trying.

Ian Woofenden said...

Headed out the door for a bike ride 'round the block, and my wife asked me to go to the store and get TP. A bit longer of a ride.

8.25 miles
41:16
Avg 12.0 mph
Max 35.18

Living on a small island is nice. I waved to several friends and acquaintances zooming by in their cars, and one out walking the dogs. At the store, Diane asked me to tell my wife that the Kale starts are about so big and ready to pick up. Island news chain.

I rode a bit on trail, just the cut-off we built across our neighbors. It has some slope and roughness, so riding it down is the best mode. Had to push hard to keep my average at 12 mph on the way back home. I like the competition, and my lungs need the workout.