Thursday, May 14, 2009

Walk #133: Wildflowers and a Hello! to Wally Herger World!!


A long walk with my dog today. Admiring the wildflowers that Joni (in her letter to Wally Herger yesterday) said we should enjoy after a fire. A delicious, warm day.

At the bottom of this page is a little "sitemeter" which gives information about those who visit. It is a nice little toy, and quite fun to see where people visit from. I've had visits from lots of places: the UK, China, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela, France, Thailand, Australia, Portugal, Germany, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Peru, Italy, Saudi Arabia, India and many more countries.

But after writing about our local Congressman yesterday, it seems that I've had three visits from "Washington, District of Columbia". And the internet address is: "House.gov". That means the House of Representatives. Big Brother.

So, a possible scenario is that some staffer in Wally Herger's office spent 9 minutes and 58 seconds reading the Wally World thing (plus three more pages). This was followed by two more visits (sharing it around the office, maybe?).

Oh, I can see the panic/curiosity/amusement in Herger's office. Who is this Allan guy? Is this somebody we need to worry about? And did he say his wife was a "treesitting felon"? (Yes, a long, long time ago). Shall we respond to this Kook?

Or are they just laughing their butts off? Are they calling the FBI to review my dossier? The IRS? The CIA? Are they gonna lift a sample of the writing to show just how kooky the enviro left is?

So, let me offer an invitation to Wally, or to Wally's staffer (just to show how harmless I am).

First off, go ahead and leave a comment. Don't just visit, spend ten minutes, read three pages and not let me know what you think. Call me a nut! Disagree! Correct me! Ask for my sources! I am flattered by your visit!

When I visit a blog and spend ten minutes reading it, I will (out of courtesy) leave a comment for that writer. I tell them what I like. I tell them I appreciate their efforts. It's internet common courtesy (in my view).

Secondly, the next time you (either Wally's staffer or the great Wally himself) are back in the District, let's go for a walk. Talk a bit. On that walk I would remind you that a Representative in the House works for more than the people of his District---He is also there to represent the rocks, birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, trees, plants and water of the District.

Care to take a walk?

7 comments:

Jackijo said...

That looks like a California Poppy to me! We call ours Mexican Gold Poppies but they are are the same species. I love the pictures of wildflowers. I also think your posts are very thought provoking.

http://outsidemyfrontdoor.blogspot.com/2009/02/its-wildflower-season.html

Allan Stellar said...

Yes, Jackijo..that is a California Poppy. Our state flower. Photos of flowers seem to be a staple of nature blogs. Along with commentary about such things.

As for thought provoking posts? Thanks for taking the time and effort to wade through those thoughts! Maybe if I write enough, something of value might rear it's pretty, little head? I keep hoping anyway...

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

What a thought!! That a congressman might actually see himself as representing the natural world as well as the business cronies that pay for his campaigns. Thanks for filling him in, Allan.

Allan Stellar said...

You are welcome Woods...

I do see that the "House.gov" address did read this thing. But, alas, no e-mail from the office. No comment on the blog. No acceptance of taking a walk with me...

Cowards. :)

I guess it is back to pushing timber sales in roadless areas for Sierra Pacific by my House Representative Herger...

One thing that does concern me with this Nature Blog thing, is the total lack of political involvement by the bloggers. We have lots of cute photos of bees and flowers. But actual calling into question any critique of our industrial way of living--nada.

Maybe I'm wrong, but most nature bloggers prefer to look and admire--rather than advocate and agitate.

They are passive admirers, rather than active participators. Bloggers look for connections in nature...but miss the most important one that we can make a difference in restoring our connections TO nature.

Would you agree? Peruse a random selection of the nature blog network and see if you agree with me.

Seems to me that, at the very least, having a nature blog bug on our sites should also include some connection to an advocacy group. The Nature Conservancy. The Sierra Club. Or something even more radical, if that is your persuasion. That is something I need to correct on my blog. Hypocrite that I am...

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Great idea, Allan! I'd be glad to advertise one of the groups I support -- National Wildlife Federation, Nature Conservancy, NRDC, Adirondack Mountain Club, plus a local land conservation group -- but I don't know how to go about it. My readership averages only about 25 people a day, so I would never seek paid advertising, but I'd be delighted to offer sidebar space to any of my causes. How do I let them know?

In the meantime, I hope my blog speaks up for some of the voiceless, like the weeds and bugs that our ecosystem needs, but which most Americans try to stamp out.

Allan Stellar said...

Woods,

I think you do a fine job of both educating folks, and also advocating for the things you love...

allan

Sally said...

Great story, and you're right about nature bloggers not being as much into advocacy as they should be. We do try to slip in a little now and then; you'll have to read down to find it though.

Still, the first important thing is for people to be able to SEE what's out there. Walking and blogging is opening you up to lots of neat things you might not have noticed before, but most people are walking around with blinders on! So keep up the good work; let's all show people what they're missing out there...