Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year's Resolution (Walk #1)

My walking stick. I have several.

Angel, on todays walk:


OK. So this is another blog about a project. This time I'm not building a straw bale, cob, post and beam structure. This time it is about walking.

Walking. There is nothing more human than walking. Walking on two feet. Walking upright, our large brains and our special thumbs are what created our species. When we evolved to walk upright, we literally got a new perspective on things. We could see above the grass Savannah (yes, we are all Afrikaners). With legs holding us up, we could learn to swing an axe, hoe or club. We became human when we learned to walk.

So what if I took a year to walk everyday. And what if I read and wrote about the experience?

Two days. Two walks. Short ones, as I'm still sick. Seems this Strep Throat is hanging on (I had to stop taking Cipro) and I will probably have to return to the good Doctor.

But, I said I would walk everyday. So I walked anyway. Coughing. Walking slowly. Down the road where I tore down all those signs one and a half years ago.

2 comments:

Mar said...

This is a great project. I've been trying to figure out a way to get my exercise in around classes and studying, and this might just help motivate me! Good for the soul too. Thanks and good luck!

Allan Stellar said...

Thanks Sadie...

Being essentially a lazy man, I thought that if I had 50 people watching me, it might motivate me to get out the door. And it has thus far...