Monday, January 5, 2009

Walk #5: Fences Make Poor Neighbors...

We headed out again today, my dog and I. The staple route. My loop that Jazzy and I walked yesterday. Familiarity doesn't breed contempt in my view. At least, not when it comes to walking/running routes; the jury is still out when it comes to friends and intimate relationships.

Raining. About three quarters along the loop route, I saw this cable which goes across the road (currently hanging on a tree--not draped across the road).

I thought about taking the lock.

The road that I walk serves most of the properties on the Ridge. It is private, yet public. I took this photo where the cable crosses the road. The road comes around a corner, and then plunges downhill.


And continues down the road. So what is my issue?

Recently a young man didn't return home here in the Concow area. He was out on his ATV. Now, I'm not a supporter of motorized recreational travel. I like the non-motorized, leg powered variety. But this young man on the ATV (a lethal combination: youth, male and motorized vehicles) didn't come home because he ran across one of these cables on a road. He hit the cable at forty miles an hour. Nearly cut him in half.


This sort of fence makes more sense. Or gate, I should say. They cost about $180...but are much more easily seen by a mountain biker or an ATV driver.


Recently, my Boneheaded-Jesus-Is-Coming-Soon-So-Let's-Just-Toss-Our-Excrement-Off-The-Side-of-the-1500-Foot-Canyon Neighbor tried to put up a cable across our road. He backed down when I brought up the aforementioned case (and the fact our girls might ride their bikes down this road).

What ever happened to civility and kindness to neighbors?




No comments: