Sunday, January 11, 2009

Walk #10: Perigee with Robert Redford...


Saturday evening. Done with work ,I wanted to wait until moonrise for my walk. Seems that the moonrise would be special, as it was 31,000 miles closer to the Earth. Best view in 15 years.

So I wasted time at the library, and then drove to Calistoga and stopped into the Hydro Bar for a chorizo quesadilla and a Lost Coast Brewery Great White pilsner. Yum.

That's the good thing about walking: you can do it anytime. No worries about a beer and chow in your belly. As a younger man, when I ran, I would have to wait four hours after a meal to run. And I certainly couldn't have a beer and head on out. That would create a certain emesis.

Not so with walking. Eat, drink and be merry...and you'll still be able to walk.

Close to moonrise, I headed out of town to a special secluded road. Robert Redford used to (maybe still does) live close to Calistoga, and he could be spotted now and then running on this road. My friend who saw him out running said "He is just a little duffer!".

So I watched the moon rise over Napa Valley as I walked. Worth the wait, not that I minded...a beer, a quesadilla and a walk on Robert Redford's running route. What could be better?

2 comments:

Nelson2005 said...

Al, I am enjoying your comments and photos. Thanks for the walking challenge. I have not gone on as many as you, but you have encouraged me to get up and get out for some good walks. Two of my boys went with me recently!
Thanks! Dave Nelson

Allan Stellar said...

Thanks Dave...thanks for following along and reading this wordy and blustery blog!

Cheers!