Friday, January 2, 2009

Trespassing Signs...(Walk #2)

About 1 1/2 years ago, I took the same walk I took today. It was right after we had purchased this "Solar Compound" and I was up here alone. I polished off a bottle of wine with a bit of Johnny Walker Scotch and took a walk.

All those neon "No Trespassing" signs annoyed me. So I tore them down.

I still do, any chance I get. Those signs have no right to share this beautiful Earth with us. We have enough ugliness to deal with, without adding such loud, intrusive, angry, abusive and selfish signs. Yup. I tear them down when ever I see them (and I can get away with it).

To me, it is like picking up litter on a walk.

However, I did leave a few signs behind on that walk last summer. Homemade signs. Made of wood and simple lettering. Less obtrusive, they are.

Barely noticed, but sufficient to legally get their point across:

And they have their own rustic beauty:


By the way, Johnny Walker has been advertising this Christmas period with images of men walking, and the slogan: "Keep Walking". I wonder if my little essay in the Mother Earth News inspired that slogan? The essay did mention Johnny Walker, and "Keep Out"...and it was about taking a walk. Subliminally maybe?

Yeah, I know---that might be a bit of a stretch. Yet...

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Allan,

I stumbled across your blog and have been inspired to join you. I won't be tearing down signs or drinking Johnny Walker and I may not walk with you everyday but I will follow you as often as I can.

Feel better and keep walking!

Lisa

Allan Stellar said...

I am pleased that you will be joining me Lisa! As for property destruction? that is only for fools like me!

Cheers!