Thursday, January 22, 2009

Walk #22: Rain, Dogs and Ipods...

Walk Duration: One hour.

OK. So I added a new question for the poll. And since I've never gone for a walk with an Ipod before: I did so. Loaded up the Beatles "Love" CD (worth the price just for the remix of "Revolution", with the guitars separated in each ear) and headed out.

I tried to listen to the music for half the walk. I found the experience to be a little like trying to watch CNN on TV while making love. It can be done. But both enterprises suffer.

So I took the darned thing off. I want to hear the rustle behind me as the Mountain Lion swoops down from his lair injecting his claws in my back and his teeth into my neck! I'd rather listen to the soundtrack of thoughts in my head, the whisper of rain and the ripping up of the turf by my dog. The Beatles can wait until later. I'm on a walk now.





Rain today and also forecast for the next week. I go to the Napa Valley today. For those who are new (and thanks for joining and visiting!), I work five days in the Wine Country (Psychiatric RN) and then live for nine days here in the mountains working on our homestead. Five days of wine; nine days of solitude.

It is a tough life; somebody has to do it!

So I may not be able to write anything in that time. But I will continue my walks. This is fun!!

One more thing. I weigh myself tomorrow at work. I'm not doing this to lose weight; I'm doing this to move and get ready for the hiking season this summer. Weight loss is not what I'm looking for. But then again, I certainly wouldn't mind having less of Allan to carry around. Last time I weighed myself, I gained two pounds.

What will happen this time? And how was your walk today?

3 comments:

greentangle said...

I'm amazed how little I listen to music any more considering how important it was to me for most of my life. But even if I were still listening at home, I hate these things; don't care if you're on a trail or a street or a bus--experience the world around you, don't try to block it out.

I do almost all my hiking alone and have to say I'm sometimes fairly paranoid about cougars. Bears and wolves, bring 'em on, but I won't mind if I never see a cougar in the wild.

Allan Stellar said...

Have Cougars returned to Minnesota? Is there a population there now?

greentangle said...

There are fairly regular sightings reported up this way including being caught on trail cameras, but I think the official state position is still that they're mostly misidentifications or released pets or wandering from the west.