Monday, January 12, 2009

Walk #11: Brother Timothy's Winery...

The Culinary Institute of America...in St. Helena:







Sunday night.

Stopped into a local brewery here in the Napa Valley (north of St. Helena) after work. Intention? Watch the end of the Steeler/Charger game. My team lost (I've never forgiven the Steelers for beating the Vikings in the Super Bowl back in the 70's). After a couple of fine Blonde Ales and about a couple of thousand calories from the fried calamari and a crab cocktail, I set out for my walk.

Walked on Highway 29 back into St. Helena. Dark. On the way back to my car, I dropped into the world famous Culinary Institute. This is a huge old Christian Brothers cellaring facility built in 1888 by some Monks who certainly knew how to live well. I'd like to live the vow of poverty they took.

As I walked up the steps, looking a tad ragged, like a homeless, sweaty, Michael Moore Impersonator...another couple got out of their BMW. "Beep" went their car lock.

They beat me up the steps. "We are closed" said the man who monitored the huge front door and lobby.

The couple whined that they were hoping to eat there and tour the place. No luck. "Closed", the man said. The stylish couple with their fancy outfits and BMW turned around and left.

Now I possess a whole lot less class, physical appeal and financial resources than the prior couple. I've never eaten there nor toured the place. Great chefs have studied at the Culinary Institute, including several from the Food Network.

Thought I'd give it a shot. I greeted the security fellah and told him the lobby was beautiful. Made small talk.

"Why don't you look around?" he told me. "Just don't go upstairs." This after the prior couple had been turned away.

Strange.

So I looked around at Brother Timothy's decorker collection. I admired the beauty of the vast stone structure and the wine cellars. By myself. Nobody to bother me. Felt guilty.

Afterwards I walked the half mile in the dark back to my car. Watching the cars whizz past me at near light speed.

Another walk completed...

No comments: