Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Walk #12: Strolling in a Lortab, Opiate Fog...

Sunday night my sore throat, which has been plaguing me for weeks now, returned with a full ferocity.

Called in sick to work on Monday--and was managed to be seen by a physician at the hospital (through the employee surveillance program--which is downright spooky sounding). I waited two hours to get the ten minute, rapid strep test back (negative)...and despite my arguments to the Doogie Howser MD that it would be best to start me on an anti-biotic, given that I've responded to it in the past couple of weeks--the concrete thinking MD thought he would save the world from the overuse of antibiotics and prescribed me a pain reliever instead. Lortab elixir.

Silly. Downright dumb in my opinion. If they wanted to stop the overuse of antibiotics we would stop raising beef in those Bovine factories that creates more dung than the city of New York and uses most of the antibiotics (because of the overcrowding of the herd) in this country.

Result? I can't swallow, and have been living on Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

So, I took a very, very short walk yesterday--in a feverish, Opium fog. Went right back to my monastic room and fell asleep. Drugged but still hurting.

I had to call in sick again to work today (Tuesday) and will be driving home to the Solar Compound. Still can't swallow. The Ben and Jerrys diet continues....

No comments: