Thursday, January 15, 2009

Walk #15: A Sweaty Canyon Hike...

Angel and I are lucky--we just leave the front door, walk about an hour (with stops for photo ops) and we are at the bottom of this 1500 foot canyon. The Feather River.

I wanted to be lazy by the river, but Angel wanted to swim. And just to make sure I didn't get too comfortable, she would come and cozy up next to me with her smelly, sopping wet, doggy body.

It is a very, very steep trail. Mostly Angel waited for me while I panted.


And of course, you have to run full steam downhill now and then:



These are the Sutter Buttes (the dark hills in the background). I had an excellent view of them today. They sit on the Sacramento Valley floor, about fifty miles away as the crow flies. The Native Americans in this area believed that your Soul went to the Sutter Buttes to rest upon death. Holy ground.


A non-magnified view of the Sutter Buttes:

The Canyon...

And more of the Canyon.

And even more..



A good sweaty walk today. 2 1/2 hours in duration. About 1./3 of it up the sides of the steep canyon. I consider this training for a hoped for ascent of Half Dome in Yosemite in June.

How was your walk today?

2 comments:

greentangle said...

A couple days ago I had what may have been my most brutal walk ever, but there was no sweating involved.

It was in the minus teens with wind chill double that and I walked a mile or so to the university where I'm taking a couple adult ed classes: local wildlife and nature writing. My breath and scarf combined to ice over my glasses so I couldn't see where I was stepping on the uneven ice.

What is that in those photos--melted ice???

Allan Stellar said...

hahaha...

Yes, I have lots of friends back there in the frozen tundra. Suffering in the deep freeze. I'm sure that walking outside there is an act akin to a Jack London short story.

I look forward to walking in record high 79 degrees today...

Ah, California!! That's the place I want to be....