Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Walk #14: Angel and the Great Chain of Being

What walking sticks are good for...

Ferocious beast!

My walking partner...


Angel and I did our staple route today. I still have the sore throat, but it is improving with the anti-biotics the good Doctor gave me yesterday. I didn't plan to go this far (55 minutes), but my walking partner insisted on it.

Joni told me that Angel just sat in our driveway last night. She wouldn't move. Joni said: "it was like she knew you were coming home, and wanted to greet you". I guess Angel didn't do that any other evening. Just last night.

One thing that I really don't like about the arrogance of Christianity is calling humans the "crown of creation". This idea that humans sit at the top of the Chain of Being--and reveling in our status--negates the intelligence of creation itself.

My dog has intelligence. Personality. Is able to love. Has loyalty. Protects her Tribe. Has more empathy than I do. Is mischievous. Is able to feel guilt. Likes to share. And evidently, can tell when I'm to come home (even when I've been gone a week). That is intelligence.

It isn't the size of the brain that creates intelligence. In fact, seems to me that the bigger the brain, the lesser the intelligence. Intelligence is knowing one's place in the Universe. Intelligence is sharing. Intelligence is choosing to let other minerals, rocks, trees, plants, flowers, birds, things that crawl, creep, slither and slide, jump, float, swim, amble and trot--- be able to exist.

Since we live in an age of extinction, caused by our own Species inability to restrain our appetites, well, I'd say we have fallen to the bottom of that great Chain of Being.

Nature always bats last.


No comments: