Monday, January 19, 2009

Walk #19: Sawmill Peak...

Walk Duration: 5 1/2 Hours.

To celebrate Martin Luther King day, I decided to take a stab at making it to the top of a mountain. With Saint Martin Luther King's famous words resonating in my brain..."I may not get there with you"...and with Obama being inaugurated tomorrow--it seemed fitting to climb a mountain.

So I picked Sawmill Peak. Visible from near our house. I studied a few jeep roads that would get me there, and departed at 11:30 am. Much too late for this ambitious of a hike.

Sawmill Peak:

Angel came with me--loyal dog that she is. And we found water along the way:

Snowcapped mountains in the distance:

And a great view of the Sutter Buttes behind us. This is the Sacramento valley--the Coastal Ranges are beyond them:



This is what Salvage Logging looks like. To the right of the photo is the Feather River Canyon. We live along a ridge (not visible here):




Obligatory Dog running shot:


Hard economic times lead to creative solutions. More and more we are seeing people "squatting" in our National Forests. A cheap way to live. Here is someones domicile:


I turned around before I made it to the top. I didn't want to be trying to find my way along these Jeep roads in the dark. Being safe (mental note: get a GPS gadget for hikers). Martin Luther King didn't make it to the top of his Mountain either.

No comments: