Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Walk #21: Tis A Gift To Be Simple...

Walk Duration: 1 hour, ten minutes.

My spouse and I put up these Strawbales today for the wall of our house. We also finished putting in the window. I headed out late for my walk. My dog was happy to be my walking partner.

Since watching the Inauguration, I've had that Shaker Hymn rattling around my head. Walking today, it was there. Present with every step. To wit:

"Tis a gift to be simple; tis a gift to be free; tis a gift to come down where we ought to be"

Beautiful. And so true.

Is it a coincidence that so many writers and thinkers, prophets and philosophers were walkers? Jesus, Ghandi, Bertrand Russell, Henry David Thoreau and Ed Abbey. All walkers. How about the Prophets in the Bible? Amos, Jeremiah, Isaiah. How about the people of Israel--walking out of Egypt, wandering the desert and then establishing a country that had no King?

Buddha wandered for years by foot. Perhaps it was resting from walking, under that famous Bodhi tree, that helped him attain enlightenment?

And Obama walked part of the parade.

Thom Hartmann states that walking stimulates both sides of the brain; that if you focus on a problem while walking, within twenty minutes the dialogue of the brain (by using both hemispheres while walking) will help you solve your problem. Walking heals. Hartmann believes walking is how we traditionally heal from trauma. I agree.

Can you think of some other famous folks who benefited from walking? How was your walk today?

No comments: