Thursday, September 24, 2009

Walk #266: Acorns!!




I couldn't resist this photo of a girl and her dog, napping...

Another hot day. Angel and I did the Lolipop walk. The acorns have been falling from the oak trees. The acorns around here get snatched up by the critters: squirrels, deer and bear.
At one time they were the staple grain for the Native Folk who lived here. With all this emphasis on "eating local", I don't quite understand why this food isn't back in vogue.

We have made flour from acorns. Works well to mix it with 50 percent whole wheat flour. The process of obtaining the flour is a bit onerous. You have to pour water over the squished grain to leach out the tannins. One guy who lives on the ridge leaves a bag of it in the creek overnight. If you don't leach out the tannins, the oak flour can make you quite sick.

We will do it again this year: make flour from acorns. Not as a staple, but as a way
to honor those who lived here before us.



1 comment:

Ian Woofenden said...

I rode to West Mount Vernon today, with a break in the middle to go to the sustainability task force meeting. Left on the first ferry and rode to a pre-arranged spot to meet another task force member who gave me a ride in, just in time. When she dropped me back off, I decided to ride on and pick up some roofing screws. Was easy going, but on the way back i was bucking a stiff wind, so I was pretty wiped out by the time I got home. Also had leg cramps a bit later -- maybe not enough water on this trip.

45.63 miles
4:04
11.22 mph average, including wind and even a bit of walking at the end -- not bad
31.21 mph max