Friday, September 25, 2009

Walk #267: The Feather River Bike Trail--Oroville

Brought our older car into the car doctor today. Seeing as I had around five hours to kill, I took a three hour hike around Oroville. Specifically, the Feather River Nature Bike Trail. Here is the Feather River Nature Center (in an old bath house from 1935). Closed, in these lean times:

I didn't see any bikes on the bike trail. I did see three cars. I didn't see any snakes, as this sign warns:

Oroville has done something right, I am happy to announce! When they had to replace this bridge, they left it up as a pedestrian and bike bridge:


Very few users of the bike trail on this 98 degree Fahrenheit day. There were four covered picnic areas along the bike trail. Three of them were being used by high school students smoking pot. Here is one of them:

A duplicate photo. How do I know they were smoking pot? Well, there are little information signs next to the picnic areas. I had to read them. My nose can still sniff out cannabis:

I hiked up to one dam:

And then the next. From here the water is diverted into channels for agricultural use. A small amount of water gets to continue on as the Feather River:

The sign where the bike trail portion of my hike ended:

Oroville has done a good job with this trail. The only users today (in the high heat of the day) were yours truly and around a dozen pot smoking high school students.

1 comment:

Ian Woofenden said...

Went to down for errands and such, and helped Z go get gravel in the dump truck. Got a lift out to the gravel pit and back, but otherwise biked.

11.15 miles
1:09
9.60 mph average
30.16 mph max

Still feeling yesterday's ride, and saving up for another big one Monday