Monday, September 28, 2009

Walk #270: Mud Plaster....


The hot spell broke today. This enabled me to do some mud work on this silly house I'm building. Hard work. It involves digging clay, sifting clay, digging sand, chopping straw, mixing the whole thing in a wheelbarrow, then climbing on a rickety ladder to apply the mud to the strawbale walls.

Inevitably, half the mud falls off--so you climb down the ladder, scoop up the mud and reapply. Repeat this process about a hundred times.

Good honest work. Good honest sweat.

My walk was in the dark of the evening with my dog. Muscles tired. Covered in mud head to toe. The Good Life!

Watched Ken Burns documentary last night (part one). I think this National Park series might strike a chord in the American public...as a little ditty I wrote about John Muir last April has had around 280 visitors in the last 24 hours.

I only wonder if Mr. Burns will give Ed Abbey the credit he deserves for his contributions to both the National Parks and Wildness in America. I hope so!

3 comments:

Ian Woofenden said...

Did a long ride to the http://www.farmpower.com ribbon cutting. Calm-ish on the way down, with a stop in LaConner for air (75 cents) and bannanas (54 cents for four). On the way back, the southwest wind cruised me along at 20 mph when going north, and slowed me down to 12 mph when going west.

48.04 miles
3:578
12.16 mph average (!)
31.05 mph max

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Where can we find this little ditty you wrote about John Muir. Allan? I agree, he was quite a guy, as was Ed Abbey. Your house in looking great! You must feel a great deal of satisfaction about all the work you have done on it.

Allan Stellar said...

Woods,

You can find the little ditty here:

http://threehundredsixtyfivewalks.blogspot.com/2009/04/walk-104discovering-john-muir.html

I'm impressed that some 300 folks have looked at this page since PBS has run the National Parks thing. I would guess that interest in John Muir is at an all time high.

As for the work on the house? I can do the smallest amount of work and then spend the rest of the day staring at it. In my chair. With a glass of wine in my hand--feeling satisfied and happy. Perhaps that is why it will take us until 2014 to finish it.

Thanks...

allan