Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Walk #271: Return of the Plaid Hiking Shirt...

Finally it is cooler outside. I could actually take my walk in blue jeans and my favorite shirt.

Favorite shirts should be sufficiently ugly. They should be threadbare; have a few holes in them. My currently favorite hiking shirt replaces another one that Joni threw away a couple of years ago---without my permission. I thought that shirt was totally usable; Joni felt differently. So what if it had a few holes in it? Consider it seasoned.

That old shirt was just as ugly. Plaid. It did have a Ralph Lauren logo on it to give it some upper class style. My new, old hiking shirt has been waiting for this day. I took it off it's hanger with anticipation and joy. Like greeting a long lost friend.

I'm not known for much style. I wear black jeans and some old Tractor Supply shirts to work. Three of them that I wear in a monotonous rotation. They fit; can get roughed up; and it saves me the mental energy of trying to figure out what to wear.

Angel and I did the Lollipop walk yet again. Me in my shirt. Angel in her fur. All is well again.

3 comments:

Tim Koppenhaver said...

I've got a pair of army surplus rip-stop pants that I use when I go hiking. Water repellent, button fly, pockets galore, and you can walk through a briar patch unscathed. But they're horribly unfashionable too. Nonetheless, I wouldn't want to be wearing anything else when hiking. Like your shirt, my rip-stops are an old trusted friend.
Take care.
TK

Ian Woofenden said...

A neighbor wanted me to look at some trees, so as is my wont, I made it an opportunity for a ride. I went about ten miles out of the way to look at them trees...

11.47 miles
1:00
11.32 mph average
34.47 mph max

Allan -- a song I enjoy, apropos of your clothing choices:

Less And Less
From Traveler
(Tim O'Brien, Universal Music Corp/Howdy Skies Music/ASCAP)

I try to travel around with less and less
I tried them all and the simple way is the way that's best
I save a lot of time not havin' to choose
What color shirt I wear or which pair of shoes
Don't need a guitar to sing my song
Wherever I land I'll always get along

Chorus:
I've been up and down the road a time or two I guess
Now I try to travel around with less and less

I had a woman once, she was not my wife
I took a long detour on the road of life
I carried that weight and almost broke my back
Nearly lost the ones I love getting' back on track
Wasted lots of time and I still feel the pain
Made a vow that I won't go through that again

Chorus

Coffee in the mornin' a little wine at night
A meal somewhere in the middle I think I'll be alright
I've got my pride, I got a smile to greet the day
I got a friend or two to help me through when I lose my way
Don't need a guitar to sing my song
Wherever I land I'll always get along
I've been up and down the road a time or two I guess
Now it's time to travel around with less and less

Allan Stellar said...

TK..

Does anybody want to be seen with you when you wear your hiking duds? And does your spouse want to throw them out? Guard them...never know when such clothes will be tossed into the recycling bin.

Ian,

That song sounds a bit like me. Only I still have a woman. But the coffee in the morning and wine at night...yup...

Will have to check it out on Youtube.

Off to Napa...

allan