Monday, June 1, 2009

Walk #151: Country Roads: Bale Lane...




Old business: I got this from the Sierra Club today. Seems the cuts to the California State Park system may be even more than has been reported. If this is true, Arnold should be ashamed of himself.

The floor of the Napa Valley is actually quite small, stretching some twenty five miles from north to south. East to west, the Valley ranges from around seven miles on the southern side, to a mile or so on the north. Walking across the valley is not hard. There are two north south roads: Hwy. 29 and the world famous, Silverado Trail. In between these two north/south roads are a few east/west connectors. Tonight I walked one of them: Bale Lane.

What is refreshing about Bale Lane is that there are no wineries on the road, hence, very little traffic. One can leisurely walk along, admiring the grapes (which look like grains of sand at this point) and enjoying the coolish evening. That was an hour's walk I shall savor for quite some time.

I shall add photos of these walks when I return to my Foothills home tomorrow...

1 comment:

Ian Woofenden said...

Short ride today. Best to take it easy one or two days a week, and I'm planning a big ride on Thursday, so I'll work down a bit.

2.89 miles
21:56
7.92 mph average
17.93 mph max

A trail/paved/gravel/paved loop in my neighborhood. Checked out friends' PV system and found that it has almost hit the 5 Megawatt-hour milestone (see my blog for photos). Took it easy, biking in my Tevas. Flipped my bike gently going off the trail and into the county ditch -- no harm done.