Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Walk # 174: Kidney Stones...

Another hot day. I took a short, loop walk with my dog. Sweated the whole time. I'm still dripping as I type this.

Kidney stone weather.

I've been living in the Great Basin Southwest since 1993. The one lesson a Minnesota boy learns by moving to a hot, desert climate is the importance of drinking water. During the summer, Joni and I keep a large cooler filled with ice water. Nothing tastes better. Forget beer, wine and whiskey. Forget fru fru drinks. What a person wants living out here is ice water.

And we don't have air conditioning. Yes, we do have a small, swamp cooler set up for emergencies (we haven't used it yet); we try and survive without air conditioning.

Back to water. For the first ten years living out here, I didn't drink enough water. That led to a nasty pain at 4 am a few years ago. A year later I made another early morning trip to the ER and wrote about that experience here.

Since then, I've been much more careful about consuming water. I have no urgency to experience passing another kidney stone.

2 comments:

greentangle said...

I've made the kidney stone trip three times so far, once vomiting in an ambulance, once the day before I was planning a long bus trip, and once with an overnight stay with surgery planned for the morning (didn't happen).

Good drugs, though.

My father was there for the first one, and I'll always remember him saying, as I was moaning and wanting more dope, "Everything passes." Never knew if he was joking or not, but I enjoyed it even through the haze.

Allan Stellar said...

Green,

Drink more water!! Seems to be the key..

allan